Hard Wired - Megan Erickson, Santino Hassell

We’ve heard about Jesse and Ian in the first books of the series. They are the mods of Kai’s Twitch channel. The two work well together but they have never met in real life. FallenCon changes that and things quickly get heated between them.

And then my problems with this book started; Ian is not using his real name online and Jesse flips his shit when he finds out that mod Cherrycakes is not a girl but instead a sexy male artist. Sure, Ian should probably have told him sooner that he is Cherrycakes, i.e. Jesse’s co-mod, but the whole thing made it seem as if Jesse had a problem with the concept of someone not wanting to show their true identity in an online world. I mean, really? That’s what people do. It’s called trying to stay safe!

Ian has apparently had some serious, nasty stuff happen to him as a child. He doesn’t trust people in the real world and uses different personas when entering that world to protect himself. His past experiences has led him to believe no one wants to see or know the real Ian. No one until Jesse. They start building something of an online relationship and both start opening up to each other.

And up comes my next issue with Jesse’s behaviour; he keeps pushing Ian to be himself. Telling him he doesn’t need to hide behind a different persona only to later on tell Ian he doesn’t need to keep the personas separate from his true self because they are part of his personality. I just didn’t get that part – is it a persona Ian can just drop if he chooses, or is it an integral part of his personality? Make up your mind, Jesse.

Quite possibly I just lack the knowledge of human psychology to follow here, but it sure did confuse and annoy me.

The ending, sweet as it was, was a little rushed to me. Ian seemed to overcome most of his issues rather suddenly.

All in all, I did like Ian and Jesse quite a lot but I couldn’t help focusing on the negatives so I didn’t enjoy this book as much as the first ones in the series.