Nights Like These

Nights Like These - Chris Scully Starting over sucks. At forty, Miles Koprowski thought he had life all figured out. He had a nice car, a hot young lover, and a cushy job… and then he didn’t.

I'm not sure why, exactly, but the first lines of the blurb had me right away.
I wanted to know how Miles had lost everything to end up in his current going-nowhere-job. And I wanted to see him make his way back to happiness.

The part about him losing his job was rather unspectacular. Could happen to anyone of us, I guess. The lover? A bit more of a story there, but clearly Miles was better off without that guy.

So now he spends nights bored out of his mind in a mostly empty office building. Until he stumbles upon criminal activities going on and the company's head of security, Colton Decker.
There is instant attraction, but they still take their time. No insta-love or naked action within five minutes of meeting. I found the development of their relationship perfectly paced but wouldn't have objected to a bit more steam.

The storyline about the thefts added some suspense without being too angsty. I am sure experienced crime story readers will have the bad guy pegged early on - even I had a suspicion - but there were enough small diversions for me to not be completely sure who it was.