Finding Zach

Finding Zach - Rowan Speedwell, Paul Morey The beginning of this book was like a punch to the gut.
We know from the blurb that Zach was kidnapped an tortured and the book starts pretty much in the middle of that. We get to witness Zach's ordeal from the perspective of his rescuers but most of all from Zach's own POV.

And we get it in every sickening detail....

There are a few flashbacks later on in the book, but the worst of the horror is over once Zach is rescued and brought back to his family.
And thank you for that, Rowan Speedwell. I don't think I could have dealt with the chapter one level of nastiness through a whole book.

The rest of the book deals with Zach's struggle to reclaim his life and his physical and mental health centering on how he reconnects with David and how the two of them slowly open up to and admit their feelings for one another.

I loved both MCs but it was sometimes hard to take when Zach's reactions to what appeared to be small details where all over the place. There was a lot of pushing David away, then apologizing and making up only for things to blow up again a short while later. But David stood by him and took it all (seriously, the guy was a saint with the load of verbal abuse he put up with!) until Zach eventually believed that he wasn't too broken - that David could see behind the scars of his abused body to the man inside and really, truly loved him.

As an added bonus, this book has some contenders for the parents-of-the-year award.